The furnace in your home is something that you probably don’t give much thought about until you are faced with a dilemma. It simply works to keep your home comfortable. However, there is a key component to your furnace that is constantly working to not only keep you comfortable, but to keep the environment in your home safe as well. This is the heat exchanger. If there is a crack in your heat exchanger it can become a big problem quickly. Hal Mechanical is here to talk about some of the signs of a cracked heat exchanger.
How Dangerous is Cracked Heat Exchanger?
The heat exchanger in your furnace plays an integral role in keeping carbon monoxide out of the house. This odorless and colorless gas can be extremely dangerous and even deadly if it gets into the house in any way. If one of the metal tubes that makes up this important piece of your furnace becomes cracked, it can put your family in danger.
How Can I Tell if My Heat Exchanger is Cracked?
Because of the seriousness of this issue, it is vital that homeowners are aware of what the signs of a cracked heat exchanger look like.
– Alarm: Your home should be equipped with a carbon monoxide alarm that will be triggered when it senses any carbon monoxide in the air. If this happens, you know that there are dangerous levels of this gas, and you should vacate the house.
– Soot: Anytime you notice that there is soot or rust that is starting to accumulate around the furnace in your home, you should be weary of a cracked heat exchanger. This is a sign that there are combustion issues that would be directly linked to the heat exchanger, and a crack could be the issue.
– Uneven Heating: Another sign that there is a problem with your heat exchanger is uneven heating throughout the house. If there are rooms that are noticeable colder than others, you should have your furnace checked by a professional.
– Noises: Your furnace will make some noise whenever it is on, but if you start to notice that the noises are much louder or there are strange noises present, have the furnace inspected as it could be coming from the exchanger.
– Cracks: You could notice that there are visible cracks on the heat exchanger if you know what you’re looking for. If this is the case, turn of the furnace and call a heating professional right away.
Central Forced Fan Furnace & Boiler Heating Services in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
If you are dealing with an issue with your heating system, you can turn to Hal Mechanical to help you get the problem fixed. Whether you need heating repairs, maintenance or a replacement, you can count on us to get it done. We will make sure you are warm this winter. Call us today!