Have you ever turned on your heat to find that there are some strange smells coming from the vents? This is not something that most homeowners want to experience. When you smell something strange coming from the vents, it is a clear sign that there is something amiss with your furnace. You will need to get to the bottom of the problem as soon as possible. Hal Mechanical is here to talk about some strange furnace smells and what they could mean for your heating system.
Why Does My Furnace Smell?
Following are some of the most common smells that homeowners smell coming from their furnace.
– Musty: If you can smell something musty coming from the vents in your home, this usually means that there is a mold problem somewhere in your HVAC system. If there is mold somewhere in your system, you need to get rid of it as soon as possible. Mold can cause serious health problems for anyone that is breathing it in.
– Spoiled Eggs: If you can smell something like rotten eggs when your heat turns on, it is a major concern. This smell is added to natural gas so that you can find any leaks when they occur. If you smell spoiled eggs in your home, it is a big sign that you have a gas leak somewhere that needs to be fixed. This will require the help of emergency professionals.
– Burning Dust: It isn’t uncommon for you to smell something that resembles burning dust when you turn your furnace on for the first time in the winter. This is exactly what it smells like, dust burning off the system that hasn’t been used in months.
– Smoke: You shouldn’t ever smell anything that resembles actual smoke though. If it smells like something is burning when you turn on your furnace, you need to turn off the heat right away and get to the bottom of the problem. It could very well be a problem with the electrical connections in your heating system.
– Burning Plastic: Another smell that you should be aware of is burning plastic. This is a sign that your furnace is overheating. You may have a faulty fan motor that needs some attention as well. If you don’t get to the bottom of the problem, you could have an electrical fire on your hands soon.
– Sewer Odors: This can often be confused with a natural gas leak. If you smell something like sewer odors, you should first check for a leak. If that isn’t the problem, you might have an issue with sewer lines that have leaked into the ductwork of your home.
Forced Air Furnace Heating Services & More in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
Anytime you have strange smells when your furnace kicks on, you can call on Hal Mechanical to help you get to the bottom of the problem. We will make any necessary repairs to your furnace so that you are warm no matter what this winter. Call us today!