Almost everyone will experience a foul smelling HVAC odor at some point in their lives. There are several reasons that these odors occur. Some of the issues may be minor; while others are caused by a much bigger problem that has the potential of being seriously dangerous. It is important that you know what can cause foul odors in your vents so that you can be prepared in the case that you experience them. Hal Mechanical is here to talk about the cause of foul HVAC odors, large and small, so you know what is likely the cause when yours doesn’t smell quite right.
Why Does My Air Conditioner Smell Like a Dead Animal?
First, we would like to address the smaller problems that can cause HVAC odors. These are issues that are easily fixed even though they may smell like a serious problem.
– Dead Animal: If you have turn on your AC to find that it smells like garbage is rotting in your ductwork, it could be caused by a dead animal. Small rodents and birds can sometimes make their way into your ductwork and die. This can leave a stench that is hard to stomach.
– Poor Drainage: Your AC system works to remove humidity from your home as it cools. This can lead to excess moisture that needs to be drained properly or mold and mildew can start to grow. All it usually requires is a deep cleaning.
– Smoke: Having a smoker in your home can leave the HVAC system smelling like cigarette smoke when it turns on. Cleaning the evaporator coils can get rid of this smell.
Why Does My Air Conditioner Smell like Poop?
Some odors that come from your AC system can mean big problems that are potentially dangerous. If you smell any of these smells, you will need professional help right away.
– Sewage: A sewer leak or backup near your ductwork, can leave your home smelling like a sewer. This is because there is a high volume of methane in your sewer line that has now leaked into the ductwork. Methane is highly flammable, and this leak should be dealt with by a professional.
– Rotten Eggs: Natural gas leaks tend to have a sulfurous smell. Any gas leak is a serious problem that can become dangerous in no time. If you ever smell anything resembling rotten eggs coming from your vents, call a professional and get out of the house as soon as possible.
– Burning: Mechanical problems tend to smell like something is on fire and burning. If you smell anything resembling this, it is important that you shut of your system and call a professional to get to the bottom of the issue.
Central Air Conditioner Tune Up Maintenance, Repair & More in Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
If your AC isn’t smelling right, you can call on Hal Mechanical to get the situation fixed as soon as possible. Whether you are in need of a deep cleaning, or something serious is going on, we can offer the help you need. Call us today!