The last thing that anyone needs is an AC system that isn’t working properly. For the most part, the noises coming from your AC unit are completely normal. All units will make a certain amount of noise as they run. However, it is when your unit is all of a sudden making noises that you aren’t used to hearing that you have to watch out for. Strange noises coming from your AC unit usually means that there is something that needs to be repaired. Hal Mechanical is here to talk about those noises and explain what could be going on with your system.
Why is My AC Unit Making a Weird Noise?
While it isn’t uncommon for an AC unit to make strange noises, it can be alarming when it happens. It’s important that you have an understanding as to what could be going on when this happens.
– Air Conditioner Buzzing Noise: If you hear your unit making a buzzing sound when it turns off to start cooling, it is usually a sign that there is an electrical issue that needs to be addressed. You need to turn it off right away and call a professional to get to the bottom of this issue.
– AC Making a Rattling or Banging Sound: Sometimes a rattling or banging sound can be soft and sometimes it can be alarmingly loud. At any rate, whenever you hear it, you know something is wrong. Usually, this noise means that a part of your unit has rattled loose and is hitting against other parts.
– Squealing AC: Sometimes you may notice a low pitched squeal coming from your unit. This is usually a sign that there is a belt that is worn out and needs to be replaced. If the sound is a high pitched squeal, you could be dealing with a damaged compressor. Both of these issues will require professional help.
– AC Makes Grinding Noise when Starting: There are two reasons you are more than likely hearing a grinding sound coming from your unit. You either have a compressor that has sustained damage somehow or you have a fan belt that needs to be replaced.
– Hissing Noise from an AC: If you have a refrigerant leak, it can often manifest itself with a hissing noise. This can be an expensive repair to make and will sometimes result in a complete replacement because of that.
– AC Clicking Sound: It isn’t uncommon for your unit to make a clicking sound as it turns on and again when it shuts off. However, if you hear it anytime outside of those two instances, it can be a sign that there are electrical issues or a problem with the relay.
Central Air Conditioner Tune Up Maintenance, Repair & More in Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
It doesn’t matter what strange noise your AC system is making. Whenever it sounds like something isn’t right, you can call on the pros at Hal Mechanical to get to the bottom of the problem and make sure your unit is working properly. Call us today!