When you need to replace your air conditioning system, you may feel a bit overwhelmed not knowing where to start. In most cases, as the homeowner all you need to do is contact a trusted HVAC service to come and replace your air conditioning system for you. However, for the homeowner who wants to know more, Hal Mechanical would like to share what every homeowner should know about air conditioning replacements.
How Do I Know if My AC System Needs to be Replaced?
Making the decision to replace an air conditioner is never an easy one to make. Air conditioning systems are a major investment and no one wants to pay for one unless they have to. Often a homeowner would rather repair the unit before replacing it. However, there are certain conditions that can help you know when to replace the air conditioner versus spending money on repairs. Some of the classic signs it is time to replace an air conditioner are:
• Age of AC Unit: An air conditioners will typically last between 10-15 years or more with proper maintenance. If your air conditioner is 15 years or older, it may be time to invest in an air conditioner replacement.
• AC Breaks Down Frequently: If you find yourself calling an HVAC technician for repairs frequently, it would be more cost-effective to have the air conditioner replaced rather than continue to spend money on repairs.
• Higher Energy Bills: As an air conditioner ages, they will become less efficient and may require more energy to run. If you notice a major increase in your energy bills, this is often a sign that your air conditioner is approaching the end of its life.
• Poor AC Performance: If your air conditioner is no longer able to keep the home cool and comfortable, it may be time for a replacement. As an air conditioner ages it simply will not cool like it once did.
• R-22 Refrigerant: If your air conditioner is using R-22 refrigerant it will need to be prepared for a replacement anyway. R-22 is being phased out and is becoming more expensive and difficult to find. If you develop a refrigerant leak you will not be able to recharge your air conditioner easily.
What Questions to Ask when Replacing AC Unit?
There are a few key elements that determines an air conditioner replacement. The first is the size. The size of your new air conditioner should match the size of your home. If the air conditioner is too small, it will not be able to cool your home effectively. If the unit is too large, it will cycle on and off frequently, which can waste energy and cause premature wear and tear on the air conditioning system. Another important element a homeowner will want to look for, is the unit SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating. A higher SEER rating means the system is more energy efficient, which can help lower your energy bills. Often a homeowner will have the option to pick the unit and its SEER rating. Lastly, there are several types of air conditioning systems, such as central air conditioning, ductless mini-splits, and window units. Consider which type of system will be most effective for your home and your cooling needs. In most cases, the homeowner will replace the same type of cooling system that was already present in the home.
Air Conditioner Services & More in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
If you need your air conditioner replaced or have the need of other HVAC services, contact Hal Mechanical today.