Though being a common issue, an electrical problem with your AC unit may seem like a foreign concept to some homeowners. Where each one results in the same thing: a lack of cool air, there are different reasons or causes for blown fuses or tripping circuit breakers. Many homeowners are intimidated by electrical concerns, especially when it involves their cooling system. Contacting a professional HVAC company to get your unit back online is essential if you suspect your air conditioner may have blown a fuse or tripped a breaker. At this time, we at Hal Mechanical would like to discuss the sources of fuses blowing out or breakers tripping due to the air conditioner.
Why Does My AC Fuse Keep Blowing or Breaker Keep Tripping?
There could be a variety of issues causing your AC unit is acting up as the case with most air conditioner issues. A few of the most common causes of blown fuses or tripping breakers include:
1) Defective Capacitor. Because to the untrained eye, it isn’t easy to diagnose, this issue can cause the most grief for air conditioner owners. It could repeatedly cause your units’ fuses to blow if the unit is on the fritz, since the air conditioner’s capacitor regulates the unit’s electrical.
2) Dirty Air Filter. The filter can be the culprit to many issues and if it is not properly maintained, it forces your air conditioner to overwork itself, which could result in blown fuses.
3) Poor Electrical Connections. Due to some issues that begin and end in the fuse box itself, your conditioner could be blowing fuses. Keep in mind, whether or not the electrical connection is secure, changing temperatures can make these wires expand and contract.
4) Low Refrigerant. A low refrigerant level can also cause blown AC fuses. Your AC has to work harder to maintain its performance without the proper amount of refrigerant. This could cause your air conditioner to blow a fuse simply from overworking, similarly, to having a dirty air filter.
Most of the time it’s easier to allow a professional to identify the problem and provide a permanent solution so it doesn’t continue to happen in the future, regardless of the reason. If the AC is blowing fuses or tripping breakers in the Las Vegas Valley, call Hal Mechanical.
How to Keep My AC Electrical in Good, Working Condition
To prevent your AC from blowing fuses or tripping breakers in the future, there some steps you can take. Always call a professional if you think you could be dealing with a serious electrical problem. Trying to do it yourself without proper knowledge can cause more harm than good. When you are completing some routine air conditioner maintenance, most these can be done.
– Clean or Change the Air Filter. As mentioned, air filters contribute to many issues f they are not changed or cleaned (according to their type). Make sure to maintain the filters often.
– Outdoor Unit Cleaning. It is essential that you keep the outdoor unit clean and clear of debris like grass clipping, leaves, and other outdoor irritants.
– Inspect the Fuse or Breaker. Something as simple as reengaging it may fix your issue if your air conditioner has only blown a fuse or tripped the breaker once. If it is continuously having problems however, call a pro.