Replacing the air conditioner unit by shelling out some hard-earned money is never anyone’s dream. Since buying a new unit indicates a small investment, most homeowners will try to make their existing air conditioner last until its last breath. Recognizing the signs that the AC is no longer worth repairing and is better off being replaced can save you substantially. Today, we at Hal Mechanical would like to share the signs the air conditioner should be replaced instead of repaired.
How Do You Know if Your Air Conditioner is Dying?
1) Air conditioner is significantly aged. For a high-quality air conditioner that is well-maintained, 15 years is the average lifespan, generally. Once your air conditioner is over 10 years old, you should keep an eye out for other warning signs of its impending failure. Should the air conditioner be over 10 years old, a replacement might be the better investment if If it needs major repairs or other attention as you do not want to pour money into anything besides basic maintenance services. Consider the evolution of air conditioner units and the advancement in cooling capabilities and efficiency among other beneficial features in just the past decade.
2) A common occurrence of AC breakdowns. If the air conditioner is frequently experiencing problems requiring professional repairs every month or so, even if they are not necessarily expensive repairs, this is not only adding up to the overall cost to keep it running but is suggesting the unit is failing and will eventually not be repairable, even if they are not necessarily expensive repairs. If in a season you have needed 3 more repairs, consider replacing your unit for more financial sense and to spare you headache of dealing with a unit on its last leg.
3) Cooling efficiency is lost. With air conditioners with a low SEER (seasonal energy efficiency rating), operating costs are much higher. You can see a return with a year or 2 by investing in a more efficient air conditioner with new manufactured units are regulated to have nothing below a 13 SEER so if your unit is lower than a 13 instead of spending more on energy costs.
4) Your AC requires R22 Freon refrigerant. Freon is being phased out in order to conserve energy. Since eventually, the R22 will not be available at all and as it is now, it is difficult to acquire and expensive to recharge units that require R22 Freon. Should your unit be experiencing a refrigerant leak and the unit requires R22, replacing the unit now is definitely worth the cost.
5) Never-ending expensive AC repairs. The unit will not last more than a year or two at best if you have expensive repairs. Especially if there are other warning signs present, replacing the unit is your better option if the air conditioner is requiring major and costly repairs.
6) Uncomfortable & inconsistent temperatures. In the event you are having a hard time keeping your home cool on a daily basis, your air conditioner unit is likely the wrong size. Because units are not a one size fits all, there is a mathematic equation that will dictate the correct size. Typically, due to age and will need replacing as well, there is a mathematic equation that will dictate the correct size.
Central Air Conditioner Installation, Replacement & More in Aliante, Centennial, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Enterprise, Green Valley Ranch, Henderson, Lone Mountain Village, North LV, Peccole Ranch, Paradise, Silverado Ranch, Spring Valley, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Tuscany Village, Whitney, Winchester & Las Vegas Nevada
If you decide you need an air conditioner replacement, Hal Mechanical will make sure it is properly sized and installed for you with many energy and performance efficient air conditioners to choose from. Call us today to get started!